Sunday, March 1, 2009

My little buddy

One of my favorite people in the world is a little boy named David. When I first met David, his family had just started coming to C.Hill. He wasn't allowed to come yet, because he was barely three years old (his mom didn't want him to come until he was a little older). He didn't really start coming until he was 4 and a half or so, but even in those early years he wanted to be a part of C.Hill so badly. When he became a regular part of our pre-school class, it was not an easy transition. He was known to fight and punch teachers (especially my dad), spit on them, throw things, and run away constantly. He once had to be chased back into the room 5 times in one 30 minute Bible Class! Over that time though, God was working on David and on those around him. David started to come around a little bit and began to be more of a helper in Bible class. He got to be pretty tight with Mr. Milt (my dad) and started spending more time with him. He got special privileges like zoo trips and parties because of good behavior. He was able to go to C.Hill's summer program this past year and didn't get in trouble hardly at all.

The first time I took David to Oakcrest with me, he was 4. I stayed with him in class to make sure he was OK and he still tried to run away from his teachers. He has come so far from that first day. He went with me today and he asked to go to Children's Worship and reminded me when it was time. He was even upset when it was time to go. People that knew David when he was younger came up and complimented his behavior during worship.

Now, this isn't a commercial for how great Capitol Hill and all of its volunteers are (though personally, I think ya'll are great) for helping this child, but rather a reminder of how great our Father is! I used to teach in a children's Bible class, "Do your best and God will do the rest." That's very simplistic, but I believe that is what Isaiah is talking about in Isaiah 58. God gives us a direct command in Isaiah 58 to care for the oppressed, but then promises to be there and guide us when we give of ourselves. When we give all of ourselves to serve God, He will make us "a well-watered garden, like a spring whose waters never fail." I am forever grateful to everyone who has worked with Capitol Hill in any capacity for allowing God to use you to make such a difference in this young child's life. But, I am even more grateful to God for guiding us through these changes and giving us the strength to carry on.


David and my mom reading "The Polar Express"

1 comment:

  1. Awww man, you really make me miss the CHill kids so much! I'm so thankful that you're still around there for them - what a blessing you are to their lives!

    ReplyDelete