Saturday, March 7, 2009

Friday night thoughts

I have always loved Friday nights, they're my favorite part of the weekend. In grade school, Friday nights meant watching TGIF and cleaning at the Gilliam house. You remember TGIF. Full House, Step-by-Step and my personal fave Just the Ten of Us, the spinoff of Growing Pains. It was always nice to relax and chill out and get ready to enjoy the rest of the weekend. Even in college, my friends and I preferred many Friday nights to rent an old movie and stay in and avoid all the high school kids at the mall trying to smoke all their cigarettes before their parents came to pick them up. Now that I work full time, I count down the hours to Friday afternoon, when I can go home and enjoy the quiet and not have to worry about getting up the next morning and being prepared and responsible.

My Friday night routine recently has become focused around a show that I wasn't sure I'd like at first, but has now gotten me completely wrapped up. I work or clean or do whatever I need to do until 8pm, but then I stop and sit down and enjoy an hour in Dillon, TX with Friday Night Lights. I don't know if you've watched this show, but you need to get on it. It's the best written, acted, and produced show on television. Yes, it's about football, but the real focus is on people. This show has some of the most realistic characters and situations, people that you can relate to. The acting is out of this world (Emmy voters, I'm not sure what the problem is, but Connie Britton and Kyle Chandler deserve apology letters for your lack of recognition). This man's hair emotes more than those "actresses" on the 90210 remake. (Seriously, his hair is always changing. It's rather amazing) Also, the Taylors (the coach and his wife) have a strong, healthy marriage and a happy family. They attend church together. How often do you see that on network TV? These people aren't perfect by any stretch of the imagination, but they are real and that's what makes this show so enjoyable. Prepare to be heartwarmed.


No comments:

Post a Comment