Friday, March 13, 2009

Leighton

I've been having a hard time lately and blogging seems to be fairly therapeutic, so I'm gonna write it out. This sweet baby was Leighton Smith. Leighton was one of the sweetest and most mischievous children that I've ever known.

He loved to play and be active. Even more than that he loved to be silly. He got into lots of trouble, but when he got caught he would always burst into a fit of giggles and hug you and say, "Sorry!" I first met Leighton when he was 4 years old and his family started coming to Capitol Hill. His mother and siblings are incredible. They have not had an easy road, but they are always positive and seeking the Lord instead of doubting His purpose. Pretty soon after they started coming to church, Leighton's oldest brother was hit by a car and had to go through some pretty extensive rehabilitation. His family also had to deal with an apartment fire, job struggles, and other health issues that year. Their love and devotion for the Lord never faltered during those times though. Last winter, Leighton had to be admitted to the hospital for pneumonia. No one thought that it was serious. He was seven years old and just had some breathing problems that were thought to be treatable. On February 1st, Leighton began to suffer severe breathing problems to the point that he had to be intubated. It was all just too much for his little body to take. He passed away just after midnight.

Over the past year I've grappled with a lot of different emotions. Sadness that we don't get to see him grow up. Anger that his family has to hurt so much. Heartache when I see his brother and sister and wonder where he is, then remember all over again. Relief that he didn't have to deal with the struggles of this world. Happiness that he is with the Father. We were working on sight words right up until about a month before he died. He was struggling with the difference between want and went. It all seems so silly now. Who cares about want and went? But, it was times spent together that I will never forget. Little successes when he was so proud of himself and wanted to tell everyone what he had just done. Laughing about the silly stories we made up together.

I know that God has a purpose for all of this and honestly, many days I still struggle to see what it is. My heart aches because I miss him so much, but Leighton is fine. In fact, he's more than fine. He's with God in heaven and that's what makes everything OK.


No comments:

Post a Comment