I did get to go a workshop this week on working with "challenging" kids. It was extremely helpful. I did one of the techniques with one of my sweet 5th graders (because he was so loud I couldn't teach) and my face must have looked goofy because he started making goofy faces at me (he didn't even know he was doing it). I started laughing because he looked so silly and then he said, "Are you laughing at me?" in his silliest voice. He then started laughing and we both cracked up and started giggling. The ice was then broken for us to talk about choices and peer pressure, blah, blah, blah. He listened though and the rest of the day was great. I'm not gonna lie, sometimes my days are grim and I wonder what the future holds for these precious students of mine. Is it gang banging? Is it jail? Is it death? Shining moments like these remind me that those aren't the only options. Life is just starting out for them and they have so many places that they can go. I can't wait to see what they do!
Wednesday, April 8, 2009
I've run out of steam...
It seems like after Spring Break I just haven't been able to get my energy up to do anything. I think my kids feel the same way. They are working so hard to get ready for their tests, but they know that summer is close and that is way more exciting. Lots of fighting, talking back, and name calling today, 3 kids suspended. Not sure whether to blame it on the warm weather, the full moon, or the fact that it is April. Let's go with all 3.
It's possible that this might be why I can't get back into the swing of things. Ahh...the beach.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Hang in there. This time of the school year always feels like it's never going to end. Spring break is over, then there's testing, and no more days off until Memorial Day. But then, before you know it, it's over and there's not enough time at the end to do everything.
ReplyDelete